Today, I'm sharing my secret weapon: The Partner Game!
How to Play The Partner GameThe important part of this game is the routine. Take a few 5 minute sessions to teach how to play this game, and then use gentle reminders to review how to play. You will need partners and word cards. Any word cards will do. :)
- Ask your partner, "Would you like to go first, or would you like me to go first?" The first player is the reader, and the partner is the listener.
- The reader looks at the top card on the deck, and reads the word aloud.
- If the reader is correct, the listener says, "Good job," and their turn is over.
- If the reader is incorrect, the listener says, "Try again." If the reader says the incorrect word three times, the listener tells them the word, and their turn is over.
- Switch roles and repeat, using the next word in the stack.
- Each partner *must* make at least 3 mistakes. These can be on purpose. :)
- If neither player knows the word, they work together to decode the word.
- After a few minutes, collect the cards, and move along to your next activity.
Visit some of these amazing teacher-authors for more Bright Ideas!
For other ideas for struggling readers, please check out my other posts. Let me know how they work out for you, too! Be amazing today...